Root Canal Treatment
Root canal treatment (RCT) is also known as Endodontic treatment is a procedure done when the tooth decay reaches the pulp(innermost layer of the tooth)causing inflammation. It is necessary to save the damaged tooth from extraction. The procedure involves:
- Removal of inflamed or infected tooth material.
- Cleaning and disinfection.
- Filling and sealing with an inert material.
- Restoration and crown/cap.
It is a multi-step procedure and may require multiple sitting also single sitting.
Why does one need to undergo root canal treatment?
- It stops the infection from spreading and will then save the tooth from extraction.
- RCT relieves the pain caused due to inflammation.
- Swelling in the gums.
- Cracked tooth
Step1: (Access Opening)
A cavity is prepared in the crown making sure that all the infected tooth material is removed and a proper approach to the inner part of tooth (pulp) is established.
Step 2: (Shaping and Cleaning)
This is followed by shaping and cleaning of pulp canal (disinfection of canal). Canal is completely shaped and cleaned.
Step3: (Restoration of tooth)
Canals are filled with the filling material known as gutta –percha. The tooth is covered with the help of new crown /cap.